5. Intelligence and Security Records
This chapter deals with records created by intelligence and security agencies as well as by various intelligence committees and organisations involved in providing intelligence assessments concerning Indonesia or Indonesians. These included the following organisations:
- Australian Secret Intelligence Service;
- Australian Security Intelligence Organization;
- Defence Signals Directorate;
- Defence Intelligence Organisation;
- Joint Intelligence Committee;
- Service intelligence directorates
(the Directorate of Naval Intelligence and Security;
the Directorate of Military Intelligence; and
the Directorate of Air Force Intelligence and Security); and
- Australian Federal Police.
Each organisation is described with a list of its relevant record series. Where an agency has assumed an earlier agency's functions, the latter's record series have been listed with the agency now controlling those functions. For example, many records created by the Commonwealth Investigation Service are now controlled by the Australian Security Intelligence Organization.