Parliament House Canberra, 1927 - Front Cover
This guide is number 6 in the series of Research Guides published by the National Archives.
The provisional Parliament House, opened in 1927, served as the home for Australia's Federal Parliament until 1988. This guide lists and describes series of records held by the National Archives of Australia relating to its design, construction and opening ceremony. The records described contain correspondence; invitations; photographs of all stages of construction; and architectural plans and drawings of the building, furniture and fittings, and the gardens. This guide is a useful resource for researchers, architects, engineers and others interested in the history of Old Parliament House.
Guides include the material known to be relevant to their subject area but they are not necessarily a complete or definitive guide to all relevant material in the collection.
The National Archives reviews its collection to confirm the value of records for research, evidential and other purposes or to identify, in consultation with agencies, records for destruction. At the time of publication all the records described in this guide were present in the Archives collection. However, it is possible that some of the records may be destroyed f they are reviewed and considered not to be of enduring value. If this occurs, the guide will be revised accordingly.
© Commonwealth of Australia 2003
First published 1997. Reprinted with revisions 2003.
ISBN 0 642 34488 4
This work is copyright. Apart from any use as permitted under the Copyright Act 1968, no part may be reproduced by any process without prior written permission from the National Archives. Requests and inquiries concerning reproduction and rights should be directed to the Publications Manager, National Archives, PO Box 7425, Canberra Business Centre ACT 2610, Australia
HTML version: Brian Joyce, Neris Bryden and Russell Pym
Cover: Canberra citizens passing the steps of Parliament House during a civic reception to mark the visit of the Duke and Duchess of York to open the new Parliament House, 10 May 1927. NAA: A5342, 700.
This Research Guide is also available in the following format:
|Research Guide 6 - Parliament House Canberra, 1927: Records relating to the Design, Construction and Opening of the Provisional Parliament House (Portable Document Format (.pdf) 2,935 KB)|