Skip to content | Skip to document navigation

Research Guides


Commonwealth Government Records about South Australia


Defence Research Laboratories

The Defence Research Laboratories was established in Maribyrnong, Victoria, in 1948. In 1953, it became known as the Defence Standards Laboratories, and in 1974 the Materials Research Laboratories. In 1977 the Materials Research Laboratories' Woodville North section was transferred from the Defence Science and Technology Organisation to the CSIRO Division of Manufacturing Science and Technology. In 1985 the laboratories came under the control of the Royal Australian Navy. In 1994 the Materials Research Laboratories joined the Aeronautical Research Laboratories and formed the Aeronautical and Maritime Research Laboratories of the Defence Science and Technology Organisation.

Selected series relating to defence research laboratories in South Australia
Cannberra
Defence Research Laboratories/Defence Standards Laboratories, South Australian Branch
General correspondence files (Materials Research Laboratories), 1947–67 D2997
Correspondence files, 1958–77 D4339
Correspondence files, 1967–77 D2995
Display board items, 1960–79 D4342
Ken A Metcalfe papers, 1960–80 D4341

TOP OF PAGE

Chapter 15
Science and research