Skip to content | Skip to document navigation

Research Guides


Commonwealth Government Records about South Australia


Customs houses

Image 8: Customs house, Port Pirie, South Australia, 1971

Image 8: Customs house, Port Pirie, South Australia, 1971
NAA: B6295, 2887H
Enlarge image - View image gallery

Prior to Federation in 1901 the South Australian Customs Department maintained a number of offices at points of entry to the colony for the collection of customs duties. The most important customs house was located at Port Adelaide. Other customs houses were at Beachport, MacDonnell Bay, Port Augusta, Port Pirie, Robe and Wallaroo. These buildings, along with customs and excise-related properties at locations such as Semaphore and Terowie, were transferred to the Commonwealth at Federation. Properties at Robe and Beachport were returned to the South Australian Government in 1920.

SELECTED SERIES THAT CONTAIN RECORDS RELATING TO CUSTOMS HOUSES IN SOUTH AUSTRALIA
Adelaide
Recorded by: Director of Works, South Australia
Original drawings, plans and prints of National Estate properties, 1847–1980 D1051
Specifications (office copies), 1941–62 AP567/1
Adelaide
Recorded by: Department of Housing and Construction, South Australia
Information folders relating to National Estate buildings, 1976–91 D5159
SELECTED ITEMS RELATING TO CUSTOMS HOUSES IN SOUTH AUSTRALIA
Adelaide
Port MacDonnell Post Office and Customs House, 1908 D1051, folder 113A drawing 1
Customs and Excise quarters – Renmark, 1933 D1051, folder 24A drawing 5
Port Pirie Customs House (old Court House), 1882–1970 D1051, folder 64
Protection against fire – Port Adelaide, Port Pirie and Wallaroo, 1910 D596, 1910/3789
Wallaroo Customs House quarters, 1932 D596, 1932/2789

TOP OF PAGE

Chapter 5
Customs