Appendix F: Antarctica records
Records of the Australian Antarctic Division located in Hobart
The multimedia collections include:
- more than 137,500 colour transparencies covering the Australian National Antarctic Research Expedition (ANARE) period 1947 to 2000
- more than 70,000 b & w negatives covering ANARE period 1947 to 1990
- 1647 Betacam, MiniDV tapes and DVDs of film vision covering the period 1947 to 2010; 2011 to 2012 is held digitally
- digital database of 158,850 images covering 1947 to the present of more than 621 locations in Antarctica. This database is currently available via the intranet only
- a small historical collection of original photographic prints, the core of which is the John King Davis Collection.
Requests can be made via antarctica.gov.au/feedback?recipient=25824.
Australian Antarctic Division Library
The Library collections include:
- John Bechervaise diaries
- ANARE Jubilee oral transcripts
- RAAF Antarctic logs 1954–63
- Scientific reports: HMS Challenger
- Scientific reports: HMS Discovery
- Ship log books (Wyatt Earp and Aurora Australis)
- Australasian Antarctic Expedition 1911–14: scientific reports.
Microfiche copies (of originals in the National Archives' collection) of station logs and reports, and field reports are held for Casey (1969–74); Davis (1957–70); Heard Island (1947–63); Macquarie Island (1948–70); Mawson (1954–66); and Wilkes (1956–68).
Station logs and reports, and field reports are stored in the Library in either electronic or hard copy for Heard Island (1971– ); Macquarie Island (1974– ); Davis (1971– ); Casey (1971– ); and Mawson (1967– ).
The Library is open to researchers by appointment only: antarctica.gov.au/about-us/library.
TOP OF PAGE