5.26: Uniting Communities South Australia
Uniting Communities is an agency of the Uniting Church in Australia and was launched under this name in 2012. Uniting Communities was formerly the Adelaide Central Methodist Mission (until 1977), then Adelaide Central Mission (until 2003), then UnitingCare Wesley Adelaide.
The predecessor organisations ran two children's homes in Adelaide, the Kate Cocks Memorial Babies Home and Lentara – the Central Mission Homes for Children, Magill from 1960 to 1977. Some Aboriginal children from the Northern Territory, particularly from the Croker Island Mission, were sent to Lentara in the 1950s and 1960s.
The following records of Lentara and its predecessors are held by Uniting Communities:
- admissions register, 1905–76 (includes some information about children from Croker Island Mission)
- financial records, c.1905–76
- annual reports, 1910–52
- Aboriginal children sent from Croker Island to southern institutions, c.1905–76
- a folder of documents and letters relating to transfers of children from the Northern Territory, particularly Croker Island
- Indigenous children, Lentara (Magill Children's Home), 1950s–70s
- Four packets primarily containing black and white photographs of children at Lentara. Packets include clippings and photocopies of the mission's newsletter, Transmission, with photos and information about Indigenous children. One packet contains an unidentified news clipping dated 1957–58 relating to children from Croker Island.
Information about the history and background of Lentara Methodist Children's Home appears in Section 6 of Finding Your Own Way: a guide to records of children's homes in South Australia by Dr Karen George (Nunkuwarrin Yunti of South Australia Inc., 2005). Information in this entry draws on that resource and on advice from Uniting Communities.
All personal information held by Uniting Communities is accessible on request and is limited in only special circumstances. Proof of identity is required. Information affecting the privacy of others will be deleted from copies of documents made accessible. Contact Uniting Communities for further information.
General Manager Services
10 Pitt Street
Adelaide SA 5000
GPO Box 2534
Adelaide SA 5001